Monday, March 21, 2011

Change of Plans....

Only 10 more days til I leave. It still really doesn't feel like it's happening and I'm sure it won't until I actually get there. All of the previous travel plans I had were completely switched around. I'm now going to Peru first to do community service throughout the country at many different cities. In May, I will go to Costa Rica to teach ESL at a middle school and assist at a special needs school. I may be taking Spanish classes in the morning in Costa Rica but nothing is set in stone yet. We are also trying to hook it up so I can help at a local environmental research facility.
In Peru, I will be helping out in the city of Arequipa, at the base of the great Misti Volcano. Then, I will travel to rural cities in the Andes for service projects. Then I go to Lake Titicaca and the Sacred Valley of the Incas for more community service. I'm hoping I will have at least some access to the internet, but I doubt I will because it will be very very rustic.
Yesterday I had an amazing opportunity to chat with someone who traveled to Panama with Rustic Pathways, the same group I'm going with. She offered great tips and really boosted my confidence about the trip. It was one of the best experiences of her life! She lived among the Kuna people on an island the size of 2 football fields. I only hope my trip will be as beneficial, not only to me but to the people of Peru, as her trip was!
Overall I'm really looking forward to this trip and I feel like it can't come soon enough! I'm going to miss everyone but I'll have my iPad with me so as long as there is Internet I can FaceTime, Skype, Email, Facebook, and Text anyone who wants to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment